Thursday, April 11, 2013

Day 9 ~ Persia (Santur)

Following the hills and the royal ancestries westward, let us gather the mysteries of the multitudes of colorful mirror-reflected sights and sounds of Persia.

The colors and patterns of Shiraz seem to represent what happens in my heart when I hear the SANTUR

This clip is of a well-known musician and respectful music scholar 
who was born in 1928 in Iran


Another beautiful santur example is this video of Sahriar Agahi
While I have not had the great pleasure of hearing santur played in Iran, I have heard great santur masters of India, such as Pandit Shiv Kumar Shankar.

If you want to enjoy several hours of santur along with an intriguing story, which through it's twists of love, war, drugs, and sumptuous Persian feasts ultimately proves the healing power of music, I highly recommend this movie which I saw screened at a Film Festival in Dhaka two winters back:  

And, if you're looking for a good BOOK to accompany an afternoon of santur listening, I myself am happily ensconced in, and highly recommend, "A Mirror Garden" by Monir Shahroudy Farmanfarmaian and Zara Houshmand [I thrill to realize Zara had passed through the academic barns and carriage houses of Bennington College several years before me, and must have left a magical residue of imaginative bliss that carried me through writing my India adventures.]

Now ~ if only there were a Persian Feast to be found in these cherry-blossomed rice paddies here in Korea. . .

This 40-day Virtual World Tour of Music correlates with the World Music House kickstarter crowdfund. (Click the orange words for more details!)

No comments:

Post a Comment